Monday, March 26, 2007

Zacatecas...






Saturday morning we left early from Guadalajara hoping to arrive in Zacatecas in the late morning. Unfortunately, we got lost and it took us 1 hour to finally get on the highway outta here! It was a day of confusion. We took the cuota going to Aguascaliente, then somewhere around there we got confused because the road turned into a libre road so we turned around and headed back towards Guadalajara. At the first exit, we turned around and had to pay the cuota again! Finally, 6 +hours later we arrived in Zacatecas. When we got to Zacatecas, I thought I had made hotel reservations at the Condesa and it turns out I didn't. Not surprising for those that know my history with travel reservations. The folks at the Condesa were kind enough to read my notes to me and inform us that we were staying at La Casona de los Vitrales. Turns out it was a good mistake. The hotel was really nice and only $45 a night. We had a king bed and fluffy pillows again!!! Plus it had a tub so I took a hot bath and read Daniel's Economist and Newsweek. After feeling fully informed about the world's trials and tribulations, Daniel and I found a bar that hosted 2 for 1 Tequila's. Feeling informed went down the drain. After so many tequila's Daniel was doing his sitting pollo feliz in the bar and I couldn't stop laughing! My mom stayed in and rested for the tour we had the following morning.

What's to say - Zacatecas is really beautiful! It's even more beautiful at night when the churches light up and the pink building glow from the buzzing street lights. It's a busy little city with people walking to and fro. There is the constant smell of great food (albeit mixed in with the car pollution) in the air and lots of music and street performance happening. Overall, we were very pleased with our weekend trip and would have enjoyed staying longer. Each time we visit a new place in Mexico we see something more amazing and more beautiful then the last. I didn't know it was possible. Driving home we took the camino libre and it was a scenic ride all the way home.

Here are some general pics of Zacatecas.

No comments: