Sunday, March 11, 2007

Monarch Butterfly Reserve




What can I say? I shouldn't even think about playing with the recording device on my camera again. Sorry if this makes anyone dizzy. And thanks to Gwyn for the added music. I think it adds a nice touch to my hysterical camera moves.

Where are we?
The Rosario Butterfly Reserve in Angangeo in the state of Michoacan. Daniel and I drove about 2.5 hours to get there from Morelia. It was so beautiful. I've never seen so many butterfly's in one space. They were everywhere! The hardest part was walking 2-3 km up the hill to see the butterfly's. Our guide was a Mayan women about 75 years of age and she walked gracefully uphill. She didn't even break a sweat. Meanwhile Daniel and I are sweating, huffing, puffing and red in the face. I had to sit down about 4 times to catch my breath and sip water. There were a lot of other people that just sat down and didn't continue to trek uphill. I looked like porky pig the tourist with my red face, camera and heaving noises. This is my excuse for the crazy, erratic recording you are about to see below!

Once we got to the top of the hill, we just sat on tree stumps and watched the butterfly's flutter around us. We ate saltine crackers and it was silent except for the wind that pulled the pines trees back and forth. Our guide told us that the butterfly's were almost ready to leave and find their place.

I believe the butterfly's are on their way to Texas, then California, then up towards Canada. I don't know jack about Monarch Butterfly's. I just know they are headed north, somewhere....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad the mariposas hadn't left early this year.
It was great catching up with you both- and thanks for your help to us & G&S.
Let usknow when you'll be over.