Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Car seats

Oh my god - who knew that installing an infant car seat could be so complicated. Talk about pain in the ass! However, now the baby's car seat is secure and safe. I took the car seat to the Piedmont PD for a free review of our handy installation work. Turns out we hadn't installed it quite right. It was clear that this officer was a pro as he twisted the belt buckle down, sat on the baby seat and strapped it down with his weight so that the chair wouldn't budge. I just leaned against the passenger seat watching him grunt and twist like a cirque du soleil contorcionist until finally he was satisfied with the security of the car seat. After he reinstalled the seat, he went over how to use the car seat and all the things that I need to consider when driving with the baby. The officer showed me how to strap the baby in and how to adjust for the baby's length and size. He talked about head on collisions and roll overs and the types of items that could come slamming at the baby - like canned goods, tire chains, a dog, a hanging mobile...etc. Anyway in the end, the message was to keep the car clean so that nothing can come flying at the baby. So I guess I won't be traveling with canned tuna or peas, my imaginery dog, Chili or Woody or a tire chain.

No comments: