Sunday, December 31, 2006


This is Daniel for a change.
Our first day in Guadalajara was great so far. I slept until about 10am and went for a long walk around the barrio and returned back to the house around noon.
I finally called my folks in Germany and even got to speak to Uschi and Andreas (I think I hadn't talked to them in over a year - shame on me). The VoIP works fine but every five minutes it garbles everything for 30 seconds or so.
Monica, Gwyn and I then went to another market across town with the usual mix of tacos, electronics and pirated copies of movies . My personal favorite was Jackass Dos. We bought a cordless phone that I presumed to be new but I later discovered that it had a bunch of numbers in its memory ..... Carmen, Lauren Cell, Lauren House ...... hmmm, maybe that's a good way of meeting people.
After that we went on to Office Max for a desk and chair for the Oracle - Guad branch. I am all set up now.
Driving in Guadalajara seems pretty easy - admittedly there wasn't much traffic because everybody seems to have left town for New Years eve and Gwyn navigated us but I think I did pretty good. I took Monica's comment ("Thanks for not killing us") as a confirmation. Sometimes it gets confusing, though: What do you do at an intersection that has a stop sign and a traffic light? Well, then again it seems that traffic signs are more guidelines than rules and that works pretty well for me.
So, time for a beer & afternoon nap now and then we are off to a party. Feliz Año Nuevo, Guten Rutsch in neue Jahr and Happy New Year to all !

No comments: